Top login menu

Murray Edwards College
University of Cambridge

FAQs for undergraduate offer holders

  • Home
  • Main page content

    Below are answers to frequently asked questions about Murray Edwards College from offer holders.

    Further advice for offer holders and prospective students can be found on the University website.


    Is teaching going to be online or in-person?

    Please take a look at the latest statements from the University.

    When do I receive my Raven password and University of Cambridge email address?

    Access to these services is obtained during the Registration Exercise, which is launched by an email you will receive during the early part of September. This process is organised centrally by the University; the College has no influence over its timing and cannot intervene on any student's behalf.

    My Director of Studies has given me preparatory reading that requires access to Moodle: when will I be able to see it? 

    A DoS will sometimes set pre-course work at an early stage, when Moodle access is not available to the student. In such circumstances, the student must simply wait until the system provides them with access to Moodle: the College cannot hasten this process. 


    Who can I contact in the Accommodation Office and how do I contact them?

    The Accommodation Office can be reached at Alternatively, you can call the team on 01223 762302 or 01223 767775

    What furniture is in my room?

    Each room contains a bed with a mattress cover, a pillow and an under-pillowcase. There is a desk with a desk chair and light, an easy chair, a bookcase or shelves and a wardrobe.

    What kitchen facilities are available?

    Kitchens have a four-ring cooker, a microwave, a fridge and a sink. Each student also has their own lockable cupboard.

    Can I bring a fridge to put in my own room?

    Yes. However, you must contact the Accommodation Office before you arrive at College if you plan to bring your own fridge. The maximum capacity of the fridge must not exceed 50 litres. Students may not bring a freezer except in case of medical need (though a fridge with a small icebox at the top is allowed). Any student who brings a fridge to College will need to pay a refundable damage deposit and provide a waterproof mat or cover for the carpet underneath the fridge. It is also the responsibility of any student who brings their own fridge to make their own storage arrangements at the end of term. Personal fridges cannot remain in bedrooms during the vacation periods.

    Please note: the College will only provide a fridge (as opposed to a student providing their own fridge) in a bedroom if there is a medical requirement to do so. If you have a medical need for a fridge to be installed in your room, please contact the Tutorial Office before you arrive.

    Do I need to bring bed linen?

    You can either bring your own bed linen or if you wish to hire bed linen, you may do so. We hire out a bed linen pack of a sheet, pillowcase, duvet and duvet cover for £39.00 per term. If you choose this option, please be aware that you can only cancel the arrangement at the end of each term. Please let the Accommodation Office know if you wish to hire linen.

    Can I send luggage ahead of my arrival to College?

    We strongly recommend that you arrive with or before your belongings do. The Porters’ Lodge is not equipped to receive or store large quantities of luggage for any length of time. Please check directly with the Porters before arranging to send belongings ahead ( 

    When I have unpacked, what do I do with my suitcases or trunks?

    Each student can store one trunk or two suitcases in the Trunk Store. We do have to make this a firm rule as we have a relatively limited storage facility.

    I am concerned about storing computers or musical instruments during the vacation. Do you have room for these?

    We have a Valuables Store for storing computers and musical instruments at the end of term.

    What about insuring my possessions?

    Automatically included in your rent is a measure of insurance cover to protect your possessions against fire, flood and theft but not accidental damage. This is provided by Endsleigh and our policy number is HH1676. You should check the cover thoroughly and should you wish to have additional insurance, you can extend the policy on their website or take out your own insurance.

    Can I stay in College over the Christmas and Easter vacation period?

    Yes – but vacation charges may apply. For the 2021/22 academic year, the vacation charges are £22.00 per night.

    Where do first years live?

    First years live in Pearl House.

    Are there any restrictions on what I can bring with me to College?

    You can bring bedding to College but not a mattress. You are allowed to have LED lights but you must not have candles, oil burners, incense or joss sticks (or any open flame). Electrical equipment should have a UK three-pin plug and you may not have any cooking equipment in your room.

    How can I clean my room?

    A vacuum cleaner is available for your bedroom floors, and we expect you to clean and maintain your own en suite shower and toilet. Accommodation staff clean the communal spaces (corridors, shared toilets and kitchens) but you must do your own washing up.

    When can freshers arrive at College?
    International freshers who need to quarantine will need to arrive in the UK on either Monday 20 or Tuesday 21 September. This allows for quarantine to be completed in time for official freshers’ week activities. Quarantine rules are subject to change and students are advised to monitor the advice from the Foreign Office and their own countries’ advice centres.
    Freshers participating in MML ‘Flying Start’ will need to arrive in time for the start of their programme Thursday 30 September.
    All other freshers will need to arrive on Saturday 2 October. A timeframe for arrival will be sent to you closer to the time.
    Can I arrive earlier than 2 October if I don’t need to quarantine and I’m not taking part in ‘Flying Start’?
    If it is not possible for you to arrive on Saturday 2 October, please get in touch with the Accommodation Office.
    Can a family member of friend help me move in to my College accommodation?
    Yes. Each student is permitted to be accompanied by one friend or family member to assist them when moving in to their College room.


    What happens if I don’t meet the conditions of my offer?

    We don’t normally make concessions for students who have missed the grades they need to meet their offers. However, if you have just missed your offer, please don’t panic. If a decision does not appear on UCAS Track, we will contact you. There might be a place at another College but this all depends on the number of students who have met their offers.

    If your results are substantially below your offer, you still have options. Hopefully you’ve got the grades you need for your second choice university. If not, you might find a similar course through Clearing.

    Do I need to apply for accommodation?

    No. First year students will be allocated rooms in Pearl House. The Tutorial Office will contact you in August or early September with further details.

    Can I defer my entry until autumn 2022?

    We do not normally allow students to defer their offer at this late stage. However, we do make decisions on a case-by-case basis. Please email our Admissions team if you would like to defer entry until 2022.

    College life

    Will students be able to self-isolate in College if they have symptoms of COVID-19?

    Yes. We have processes in place to support students who need to self-isolate.

    What will Freshers’ Week be like?

    We’re looking forward to hosting Freshers’ Week and we hope to include as many in-person events as possible (subject to government restrictions and risk assessments).


    Where can I find details of College charges/tuition fees?

    Can I pay my College bill/tuition fees by credit card?

    No. You cannot pay your College bill or tuition fees by debit or credit card.

    Can I transfer money from overseas?

    We prefer payment in sterling from a UK source. If the only way you can pay your bill is from an overseas bank, please note that there will almost certainly be a charge (at least £6) imposed by your bank. This charge will be reflected on your College bill.

    Can I pay monthly for accommodation?

    Normally, only postgraduates with a monthly stipend from their sponsor are permitted to pay for their accommodation on a monthly basis. 

    Can I pay for tuition fees termly?

    Undergraduates can provide post-dated cheques (October, January and April) to cover the year’s tuition fees.

    Can I get a receipt for the payments I make?

    Always return your bill to the Accounts team. They will stamp and return your bill to your pigeonhole.

    Can I pay my College bill/tuition fees by bank transfer?

    Yes. Further details are on your College bill. Please return your bill to the Accounts team marked with the payment date. This will allow us to confirm that you’ve paid your bill and provide you with a receipt.


    Will catering still be provided in the Dome?

    Yes. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available six days a week with lunch and dinner available on a Saturday.

    Will there still be Formal Halls?

    We very much hope so! This will depend on guidance around COVID-19 in place at the time.


    What welfare support is available in College?

    We are keen to help students deal with problems as and when they arise. We also want to help students develop their resilience, their confidence and other relevant skills so that they can make the most of their experience here.

    A student’s Tutor is usually the first port of call if a problem arises. There are also many other sources of support available, including the JCR Welfare Officers. In addition, there is a lot of useful information on the Cambridge Students’ Welfare and Wellbeing website.

    We also have our own College Nurse and College Counsellor.

    What disability support is available in College?

    Much of the College, including the Library and the Dome, is accessible to people who use wheelchairs. The College also has accommodation for students who use a wheelchair.

    Students are encouraged to discuss specific requirements with their Tutor. As an offer holder, if you have a specific requirement that you would like to discuss, please get in touch with the Admissions Office.

    The University’s Disability Resource Centre (DRC) provides support and advice to all students. Their advisors can discuss issues relating to any disability (including specific learning difficulties) and can offer advice on needs assessment, academic support and funding.

    Within the College, Beverley Watts (Tutorial Operations Manager) is the College’s Disability Liaison Officer.

    What procedures are in place to support students who experience sexual harassment/assault during their time at university?

    If you experience sexual harassment and/or sexual violence, there is support available from the College, the University and other organisations. Find out more about the support available.

    What does the College do to provide a welcoming and inclusive experience for all students?

    Murray Edwards is opposed to all forms of racism and all other forms of discrimination. Our focus is on creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for all. We are committed to tackling racial prejudice and inequality, and we will keep listening and learning so that we can contribute to meaningful change across society. Find out more.

    Can you provide any advice about COVID-19 vaccinations?

    Vaccination against COVID-19 is now available to everyone in the UK over the age of 18, whatever their nationality. So if you have not yet been vaccinated, please arrange for vaccination as soon as possible.  

    If you are in the UK, vaccinations can be booked through the NHS online and in the UK there are walk-in vaccination centres available locally.  If you have your first dose of the vaccine over the summer, it will be possible (if required) for you to book your second dose in Cambridge, using the NHS booking site or by visiting a walk-in centre.

    If you are outside the UK, it is also important that you are vaccinated.  If you have only received one dose of the vaccine by the time you travel to Cambridge, it will be possible to receive your second dose, under the NHS (so free of charge) once you arrive in Cambridge.  Arrangements for any vaccinations in the UK can be made as soon as you have registered with an NHS doctor, which you must do in any case soon after arriving in Cambridge. 

    There is also comprehensive information on the Stay Safe Cambridge Uni vaccination webpage. This includes links to information for people who have received doses of vaccine outside the UK.